Antipasto salad that reduces risk of prostate and breast cancer, beefs up your bones, keeps heart disease at bay and helps to prevent cataracts? These are the health benefits of cauliflower and carrots; and I did not even start listing those of green beans and green peas. This healthy salad can be prepared in advance, chilled and stored for several days.
Healthy antipasto salad which could also be called anti-cancer and anti-heart-disease. Is antipasto salad fattening? Not this one - it can be cooked without oil at all; however, excluding oil will reduce overall health benefits of the antipasto salad.
- 4 medium red potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- ¼ pound ( 110 grams) fresh green beans
- ½ head fresh cauliflower, washed and broken into florets
- 1 cup green peas, better fresh than frozen
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup cider or wine vinegar (too much vinegar for me, but perfectly fine for my friends. Reduce to taste. )
- ¼ cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp stone-ground or Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp flax oil or olive oil
- Boil the potatoes and set to cool down; cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
- Cut the carrots diagonally into ½ inch think wedges. Cut the green beans into 1-inch pieces. Steam them over boiling water for about 10 minutes, until tender.
- Steam the cauliflower over boiling water for about 7 minutes, until tender.
- Combine all the ingredients for marinade; mix the vegetables, pour marinade on top of it and toss gently.
- Serve immediately or chilled. Before serving, mix in the red pepper.