Russian Red cabbage salad
How to make your red cabbage salad tasty? Read on to see a trick I use to cook red cabbage so that I can speed up my weight loss in the healthy way. Red cabbage is an unpopular kid here in North America. In fact, majority of the North Americans have never even tried it. It is less juicy than its relative, white cabbage, and therefore requires some processing. But think about this for a second- bottles of multivitamins, minerals and antioxidants can be replaced with one head of red cabbage! And they come in their most powerful raw state.
You thought white cabbage was the nutritional champion? Antioxidative capability of red cabbage is six times stronger than that of its relative, white cabbage! Its ability to protect brain cells against free radicals damage plays significant role in prevention of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's. It helps to prevent cardiovascular diseases, cancer, assists in weight loss and supports vitality.
This recipe for red cabbage is adapted from Povareshki, a Russian-language recipe site. This vegetarian red cabbage recipe can be made vegan by replacing honey with agave syrup, or sugar.
- 3/4 lbs ( 300g) red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 2 cups boiled water
- 1 red pepper (or 1/2 cup shredded cucumber)
- 1 small carrot
- 1 celery stem
- 1 small onion ( sweet or cooking)
- parsley and dill to taste
- Dressing: 1 tbsp of honey ( or sugar), 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 garlic clove, pulp from 1/2 lemon
- Cutting cabbage: cut cabbage head in halves along the stem, and each half in halves, again along the stem. Place a quarter cabbage on the cutting board. Cut perpendicular to the stem in slices 1/2-1 inch thick. Each slice is to be laid on the board and cut in 1/2-1 inch thick slices. Get a Borner mandoline slicer if you want to make this job effortless.
- Place shredded cabbage into the strainer, pour boiling water over it, and immediately pour cold water. Squeeze the water out of cabbage. Now it is softer and easier to eat.
- Put it in the bowl, add salt and mix it in, squeezing cabbage in your palms.
- Add thinly shredded red pepper, grated carrot and celery.
- Cut onion in thin rings, and then cut the rings in halves.
- Add parley and dill.
- Mix ingredients for dressing in the separate bowl, mix them into the salad.
- Add toasted sesame seeds or wheat bran on top. Enjoy!
Return Home from red cabbage salad
Check out cabbage soup recipe and more cabbage recipes
Go to top healthy food list
Find out how to start eating healthier
Explore other healthy recipes... Go to cabbage recipes and greens recipes